2022 Award Categories
The Express & Star Awards acknowledge the very best people and organisations across the region.
For the selected finalists there are significant publicity benefits and real kudos for the eventual winners – this is your chance to grab a place in the spotlight.
The competition is free to enter. Any company or organisation that is based in and around the Black Country and Staffordshire region, reflecting the Express & Star circulation area, can sign up.
There are 9 categories you can choose from, some are open to just about everyone, others have certain restrictions, but all are worth a look. This year's categories are:
- Business of the Year (sponsored by Express & Star)
- Business Person of the Year (sponsored by Richardson)
- Family Business of the Year (sponsored by Crowe)
- Manufacturing Champion (sponsored by Collins Aerospace)
- Small to Medium Sized Business of the Year (sponsored by Higgs & Sons)
- Young Business of the Year (sponsored by Carvers)
- Community Champion (sponsored by Willmott Dixon)
- Growth & Innovation Award (sponsored by Homeserve Furniture Repairs)
- Best Use of Digital Technology (sponsored by MNA Digital)
It’s easy to take part. Simply choose the category/s you wish to enter and begin writing your entry to be in with the chance of becoming a finalist for the 2022 Express & Star Business Awards.
You can enter up to three categories but each category will need to be completed separately. In addition you can nominate in the category of Business Person of the Year.
You can view all the categories and criteria below.
Entries must be received by close of business on Friday, February 25 2022.
Business of the Year
Open to all sectors of business, the judges will be looking for an outstanding organisation whose track record sets them apart from the rest.
The blue riband award will go to the company with an impressive turnover that has delivered a top flight performance across every part of their business and sets the standard within their industry – the very best in the region.
Entrants will need to show strength in the following areas:
- Commercial performance
- Leadership and management
- Outstanding commitment to customers
- Investment in staff
- Commitment to the local community
Business Person of the Year
This is an individual award that singles out business owners, entrepreneurs and senior management for their leadership, contribution and for having a substantial impact on their business in the past year.
The judges will be looking for evidence of:
- High levels of business skills and acumen
- An imaginative and inspirational manager
- Innovative and entrepreneurial leadership
- Someone who has given the business a competitive advantage
- A role model within their own business and beyond
Individuals may nominate themselves but anyone can put forward an individual for this category.
Family Business of the Year
The judges are looking for impressive businesses that are actively owned or managed by a family and will be looking for entrants to demonstrate:
- Profitable growth achieved in the last three years
- How they achieve a balance between family and business
- How they combine family heritage and boardroom agility/innovation
- Effective leadership in pursuing market opportunities
The eventual winner of this category will combine the best of traditional skills with new technology, while continuing to strengthen the regional economy.
All finalists will demonstrate a dedication to manufacturing excellence with particular attention paid to:
- Sales performance
- Investment in people and plant
- Lean manufacturing
- Environmental responsibility
Small to Medium Business of the Year
If your business employs between 11 and 200 people and is outstanding in a number of ways, this could be the category for you.
The ultimate winner is likely to be an innovative company that is looking forward to the challenges ahead.
The strengths being sought are:
- Innovation in products/services
- First class customer service
- Outstanding leadership and management
- Committed workforce
- Coherent business plan
- Sustainable strategy for future expansion
- Investment in employees’ continuing professional development
- Investment in developing the skills of young people relevant to the needs of the region’s economy
Young Business of the Year
The judges are looking for a young business, five years or less at January 31 2019, that is likely to be a strong all-rounder, already a leader in its own chosen area of expertise.
They must be able to demonstrate:
- Effective leadership and management
- Innovation in products, services or processes
- A robust marketing strategy
Investment in staff development
- A tangible level of success
- Significant growth or expansion and potential to sustain this
The judges are looking for a company that displays, on a regular basis, a commitment to corporate social responsibility over and above their daily business demands and can show how this has had a positive impact on the surrounding area.
This may be getting involved with a local school or organisation or encouraging staff to work voluntarily on community projects.
The award will be presented to a company which demonstrates the following:
- Staff engagement in the local neighbourhood
- The benefit to the community or a specific social cause from staff endeavours
- Contribution to personal development of employees
- Plan for sustainable commitment to the cause on an ongoing basis
Please note that not-for-profit organisations are excluded from this category.
Growth & Innovation Award
Businesses will need to have a minimum turnover of £5M and have achieved impressive growth over the last three years to enter. They should be able to tell an inspirational story that will encourage others and be able to motivate other companies to maximise opportunities for growth.
Judges will be looking for evidence of:
- The development of an outstanding product or service through innovation
- Fresh markets having been identified and a great sales plan being put in place.
- A commitment to exceptional service
- A strong management team that has sustainable development plans to build on its success in the future.
Best Use of Digital Technology
Has your company created, introduced or developed new technology that has had a positive impact on your business? If so, we would like to hear from you.
In your submission the judges will be looking for evidence of how technology has:
- Improved processes
- Reduced costs
- Increased revenue
- Enhanced customer satisfaction
This award is open to established and new businesses alike.